Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The birth story...

(this is LONG - and detailed - I didn't want to leave anything out and I wanted to have written down the story of Colin's birth)

Thursday, September 23, 2010
I had my 40 week appointment at 8:30 Thursday morning.  I had decided earlier in the week that I would just go into work after my appointment, and then I would take off Friday.  Garet and I had decided to go ahead and schedule to be induced Sunday night going into Monday.  So I was thinking it would be nice to take a longer weekend.

My parents decided on Wednesday to go ahead and come down on Thursday.  We figured, why not.  That way they will already be here.  The idea was that they would get here when I got off work and we would have all weekend.  Garet had even planned on taking my dad to a fishing rodeo for work on Saturday.

So... Thursday morning I got all ready for work, we took a 40 week belly picture, and I did a blog post right before we left to go to the doctor.  At my appointment I was only 2 cm dilated (and I think she was being generous!) and I was still about 80% effaced.  I asked her if she could do an ultrasound to get a better estimate on how big she thought he was.  She was pretty confident that he was going to be a big boy.

The ultrasound measured him at 8 lbs. 14 oz!  He was head down but face outward.  Then we got talking seriously with the doctor about our options.  The measurements the ultrasound tech takes are usually within a few oz. of being correct, so he was going to be big.  My doctor was concerned that I wouldn't be able to push him out because of my size.  She said that some petite people have no problems at all, but others can't do it.  I told her I was not opposed to a c-section.  Garet and I really wanted him to come on his own, or at least make it to his due date.  We just wanted a healthy baby.  And since it was his due date, I figured let's do it!

After talking we decided that I would go ahead in on Friday (the next day) for a scheduled c-section at 2:30 p.m.  I was so excited to have a plan =)  My main concern was that I didn't want to labor ALL day just to have to have a c-section anyway.  My doctors concern was that I would do some major damage to my "pelvic floor", not only with tearing, but later in life with bladder problems, etc.  Not only that, but if he didn't fit he could have his shoulders stuck and that could cause some nerve damage for him.

Anyway, Garet and I went to Starbucks for a snack before I headed back to work.  While there we talked about our decision and our plan, and I decided not to go to work that day.  Since I would be having a baby the next day I thought I'd take that day to wrap up anything that we had left to do.  My boss, of course, understood.  I think they were surprised I had planned on coming in in the first place!

We got home around 11:00 a.m.  We ate some lunch and then made a short list of things to do.  I talked to my parents and they were already on their way.  They were going to arrive here around 5:00 p.m.  After lunch I started having some contractions.  It was all in my back, and not very strong so I wasn't convinced that it was even contractions I was feeling.  I thought I was just having discomfort from my exam that morning. 

I busied myself by making some chicken salad.  It was about 2:00 p.m. and I was definitely having contractions.  I started writing them down at 2:30, and they were anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes apart.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I was instructed that if my contractions were 5 minutes apart, to go on to the hospital because that meant I was in labor.  I decided to call my doctor to get their opinion.  It was about 3:00 when I called, and I just prayed that they would call me back that day (since it was after 2, sometimes they don't get to it the same day).

We had a short grocery list that we had planned on getting that day.  Garet teased me that maybe he shouldn't go because I might be going into labor!  I joked back, well you better hurry up and go so you can be back to take me to the hospital!  The doctor called back and said that if they consistently were 5-7 minutes apart to head to the hospital, but if not just to lay down and relax and they should ease off.

Garet ran to the store (it was a record time for a shopping trip!) and he insisted that I lay down on the couch for a while.  It was around 3:30, and once I was laying down the contractions got further apart.  They averaged around 20-30 minutes apart.  I had my rice bag heated up on my back.  The contractions were ALL in my back.  They hurt, but were manageable, especially with the heat.

At 5:00 p.m. Garet had to leave to go to a few meetings for work.  My parents were going to be arriving at any time, so he felt that since someone would be here with me, he would go ahead and go.  I even told him, "Don't worry honey, I'm not going to be going to the hospital tonight.  Have a good meeting!" 

He left, and my parents arrived shortly afterwards.  While they were bringing in all their luggage I started having contractions pretty regularly again.  I grabbed my rice bag and sat on the couch again.  By 5:30 they hadn't gone away so I started writing them down again.  They were every 5-7 minutes apart.  And they were getting more intense.  ALL in my back!  I got to the point where I couldn't talk easily through them and my mom started writing down when they would start/end.

At 6:30, the contractions weren't letting up, and I was getting nervous!  What do I do?!  I had a plan!  We weren't supposed to go to the hospital until the next day!

I was glad my parents were here, and my mom said - well let's go.  They could send you back home, but so what?

I called Garet (he knew that if I called it meant that something was up).  He answered and I said, "well my contractions are 5 minutes apart."  Then Garet said (to the people in the meeting), "Alright, I'm out of here."  And then I heard the people in the meeting telling him "Bye" and "Good luck"  haha

Luckily Garet and I had our bags in the car already.  We had our last minute bag packed (from earlier that day) so I just grabbed that and my parents and I headed to the hospital.  Dad dropped of my mom and I at the front and then went to park.  Mom and I went to the 2nd floor, Labor and Delivery, and checked in.  They told us to have a seat and they would call us back.  While waiting Garet got there, and my contractions were getting much more intense!

Finally they called us back.  On the way to the room I had to actually stop and hold onto the wall during one of my contractions.  They got us in a room and hooked up to hear Colin's heartbeat and measure my contractions.  They asked a billion questions.  They checked me, and I was still only 2 cm dilated.  They took forever to hook up my IV, and they hooked up the catheter.  Then they left to call my doctor and see what she said.  I told them I was scheduled for a c-section the next day, so if my doctor was ready, so was I!

My parents came back to the room, and I just kept saying "they better not send me home!"  My contractions were getting really bad and I knew I couldn't last at home with them.  I don't remember much during that time except every time I would have a contraction either my dad or Garet would look at the monitor and say, "Wow!  That was a big one!"

It seemed like forever before they came back, but I'm sure it was only a few minutes.  "You're going to have a baby today!"  The nurse (Amy) said when she walked back in!  I remember Garet asking how long before he was here and they said, about 25 minutes after I leave the room!

I was helped into a wheelchair and wheeled down the hall.  They stopped me in front of big double doors while they put on gowns, hair nets, and foot booties.  Garet also got dressed and was told to sit and wait outside the doors while they got me ready.

Once they opened the doors they wheeled me into the operating room.  I saw a handful of people with the masks on and the operating table.  I was helped out of the chair and up onto the table.  I had to bend and the waist while the anesthesiologist gave me the spinal block.  This proved very difficult as I was having contractions while it was going on.  It didn't hurt too bad - it felt like a big bee sting.  They helped me lay down and said I would feel warm and tingly down my butt and legs, and as soon as they said that, I felt it!

Garet then appeared beside me.  We had our little camera so he was able to get some shots!  Here is Garet!

They were poking at me, asking if I felt anything (I didn't, thank goodness!)  Garet held my hand...

... and I kept saying how weird it was!  I could hear what was going on on the other side of the curtain and I could feel a lot of tugging, but no pain!  Then my doctor said, "we are about to get to the uterus"... and then "this is a big boy!"  The anesthesiologist told Garet to stand up to see what was going on and take pictures.  He didn't want to.  He just didn't want to see blood and the actual operation, but I'm so glad he stood up!  We got a lot of pictures (without seeing the cut).  And then we heard the most beautiful sound in the world!

The tears started flowing immediately!  Colin Davis Beane was born at 9:01 p.m. and he cried the entire time!  It was wonderful!  Garet was snapping away at pictures, while I just enjoyed the sound!

Finally they brought him into my line of vision to weigh him.  He was 8 lbs. 7.6 oz.  So the ultrasound tech was really close with the weight!

Garet was able to go with Colin and the nurses to the nursery to give Coin a bath and get cleaned up.  Right before they left I got to say hey to my precious boy!
And yes, I have been kissing those cheeks ever since!


Anonymous said...

this post is so perfect. I am so happy for you three. I cant wait to see yall. love you so much.

Kailey Davis said...

sorry that was me!!

Carrie said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing it :-) It made me tear up just thinking about those precious first cries!!!

Missy said...

What an awesome story, you are such a trooper! Congratulations on your little bundle of joy!

Anonymous said...

Awww, that story made me tear up! I'm sooo happy for you & Garet.
Love you,