Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas Eve...

We just got back from visiting with Garet's dad and one of his sisters.  I will have to post about it after Christmas - but we had a great time!  This year we decided that we were going to start our own traditions.  We were going to begin, from this year on, waking up at our house on Christmas morning.
 
I am so excited about this!  Starting our own family traditions!  Growing up I always woke up at my house with just my family to celebrate Christmas and Santa - so I am very excited to do that with my children.
 
Today was busy - this morning we decorated a gingerbread house and we made a cake for Jesus - after all it is his birthday!  That is one tradition that we are starting... I saw one of Garet's sisters do this a few years ago: singing Happy Birthday to Jesus and having a birthday cake.  I love that this is so visual for kids. Another one of the traditions that we are carrying on from Garet's family is Christmas morning cinnamon buns (from scratch!)  So, I began the process of making the bread this afternoon during Colin's nap.  And just finished so now I just have to pop them in the oven in the morning!
 
This evening we went to Christmas Eve service at church - it was wonderful!  I am LOVE religious Christmas music!  (Read: NOT "I saw mommy kissing Santa" or "Santa Baby" or any of those other crazy songs that start before Thanksgiving.)  I don't know about you, but I am seriously moved to tears at the Christmas Eve services.  I mean how GREAT IS OUR GOD?!?!  The song "Mary did you know" was played and I about lost it!  It is my favorite!  (google it if you don't know it!)  The fact that this young woman gave birth to Jesus Christ, the son of God!  I just can't wrap my mind around how she could have felt!  ..."Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?"..."when you kiss your little baby, you kiss the face of God."  Oh I love it!  It was a really great service!
 
After dinner, we got to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus, and Colin blew out his candle (yes we did it tonight).  He kept talking about "Baby Jes" [pronounced "Geez"].  Then he opened one gift.  It is a tradition from my side of the family... the Christmas Eve gift is always Christmas pjs.  And we did the last number on Colin's advent (which he LOVES to do!!) 
 
Since Colin's been in bed, Garet and I have been busy little elves =)  I don't have any pictures uploaded, so I will have to recap after Christmas.  I hope eveyone has very blessed Christmas.  I tried to put our Christmas card on here, but it said it was too big.  For those that haven't seen it, we did a bunch of outtakes on the front.  =)  Here is a "normal" one that we included on the back of our card:
 
Merry Christmas! 

No comments: