Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day camp...

In Garet's job, he has to be in charge of day camps for the Boy Scouts.  He loves this part because he gets to be outside and help with putting on an awesome, fun day for the kids!  This year he was REALLY excited because he could take Colin!  There was a special group called the "Cubbies" that Colin was with.  He got there around 9 in the morning and I picked him up around 1/1:30 so he could come home and take a (much needed!) nap.  Garet recruited my dad as a volunteer... he got to teach the kids how to fish =)
 
So... this past Monday was the first day.  The boys were excited!
 
Colin's little group got to do pretty much everything the big kids did.  I wish I had gotten pictures of everything... but I was good and didn't tag along!  It made me feel better that Garet was there the whole time (Colin was the youngest in the group).  So Garet would sneek up and peek in on him to make sure he was doing alright.  And he would snap pictures to send to me as reassurance that Colin was having a good time =)
 
 Colin rode a train... and the picture is blurry but he definitely caught Daddy watching!
 
Garet was able to meet up with Colin's group to join in on some of the activites... like the merry-go-round.
 
Each day they had to wear the same shirt.  So guess what we had to do each night... laundry.  And to my surprise (or maybe not so much of a surprise...) it was a full load every night.  Sheesh. 
I love this picture of my guys! 
 
I think my dad had a good time with his "job"... here he is instructing the kids on how to cast a line:
 
 One day they fished off the dam and another day they fished off the bank into the lake.  This was at the dam... the kids were so excited to catch fish!
 
I got to pack Colin's little backpack each day... diapers, snack, water, sunscreen, extra shoes, bathing suit... and they took their lunches.  No I didn't write notes on their napkins, but I did think about it...
 
Addison and Suzi snuck into the picture =)
Garet found Colin searching under the tables for bugs one day...
 
Colin even got to shoot a bb gun!  And every day my dad and Garet would eat lunch with him, then they would go to the pool.  Colin went down for his nap each day with NO problems!  He was so tired when I would get him!

On Friday there was an awards ceremony, so Addison and I went for some of it and stayed for lunch.  I spied Colin with his little group.  They were in their own world in the shade while the presentation was going on...
 
Can you see another little boy all in Colin's face?  Colin kept making faces at him.  Then that little boy tried to take Colin's cup to dump it out in the grass... Colin said, "No I don't want to!" and then chugged his water.  Then the little girl with her back to the camera stuck her shoe next to Colin so that Colin could drive his little car (that someone gave him) on her shoe.  You can tell what I was paying attention to.  It is funny to me to observe Colin without him knowing.  Especially when he is interacting with other kids.  

Each group did a skit, and I was excited to find out the Cubbies had a skit too!  Colin was clueless... but he was still cute standing up there with everyone.  Since he was so young, they gave him a buddy.  In this picture she is standing next to him holding his hand.  They held hands pretty much the entire time.  He didn't seem to mind. 
 
Garet said that when he took Colin one day each of the kids wanted to give him a hug bye.  Adorable.  After the skit we went and had lunch.  One of the leaders gave Colin this crazy headband...
 
... and for the picture Colin wanted to pose with his cookie.  Why not? 

Love my little camper!

1 comment:

L Davis said...

aww, look at your little cubbie scout! He's having so much fun. Garet and Dad had lots of fun, too! It looks like the camp experience was 100% successful!